Sunday, March 13, 2011

Austin, Texas - Day 1

My training week started out rough. The lady at the hotel desk told us it would only take about ten minutes to get to the building where my training was being held. Seeing how I like to be early, we still decided to leave over a half an hour early. We got lost. Our GPS took us in the wrong direction and was telling us that a random building was the right place. We kept asking people where to go and no one knew what building we were talking about. By this time I was already five minutes late, very stressed, and very upset. Then we decided to ask one more person, a man that I am very grateful that he knew his way around. He was able to point us to the right building! I was very embarrassed walking into the training fifteen minutes late. I walked in and they asked if I was the Utah girl, I think they were surprised at how young I was and I instantly had like ten extra mothers taking care of me after that.
My training went from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm with an hour lunch. The first day for lunch I went with a group to a Mexican restaurant called Chapala. It was really good and they had a buffet so it did not take as long. I was also glad it was in walking distance so we didn't have to chance getting lost again.
This is the Frost Bank Tower. We just thought it was a cool building.
The Texas State Capitol Building.
Part of the Great Walk leading up to the Capitol.
This is a view looking up at the Capitol's dome. The star in the
center is 8 feet in diameter and 266 feet above the ground.
Stephen F. Austin - The "Father of Texas"
Sam HoustonOutside the CapitolI thought everything was supposed to be bigger in Texas?Mom by the statue of Angelina Eberly - When Sam Houston tried to have the seat of the government moved to his namesake city by sending the military to Austin to remove the government archives. Eberly saw the men coming and sent of the cannon to wake to town to save the archives and preserved Austin as the Capitol of Texas.
After we walked around the Capitol we drove around downtown.
We went to the University of Texas and saw the Texas Longhorn stadium.

No comments: